At Burke Burns & Pinelli, Ltd., our attorneys have extensive experience counseling and representing state agencies, municipalities, and governing bodies of private clients in the Chicago area and throughout the State of Illinois. BBP attorneys serve as outside counsel on an ongoing basis to a number of state agencies and municipalities.
BBP welcomes inquiries regarding our counsel and representation on board governance matters. To schedule a consultation, call our Chicago office at 312-541-8600 or complete our online/contact form.
Clients in our BBP board governance practice include the Boards of Trustees of several public pension funds, educational agencies, and municipalities, as well as private entity governing bodies. Our notable clients include:
- State Universities Retirement System of Illinois (SURS)
- Municipal Employees’ Annuity and Benefit Fund of Chicago (MEABF)
- Firemen’s Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago (FABFC)
- Illinois State Board of Investment (ISBI)
- Cook County Pension Fund
- Forest Preserve District of Cook County Annuity & Benefit Fund
- Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC)
- Illinois Board of Higher Education (IBHE)
- Village of Bridgeview, Illinois
- Village of Lyons, Illinois
- University of Illinois at Chicago
- A charter school operator
Comprehensive Counsel on Board Governance Matters
In addition to providing BBP clients with day-to-day advice and counsel regarding governance matters, our practice spans the full range of legal issues encountered by governing bodies of state agencies and municipalities, as well as private entity governing bodies. Our board governance practice includes:
Contracting and Procurement Matters
- Advising on specific procurement matters, including drafting of solicitations including RFPs
- Counseling clients on the Illinois Procurement Code and regulations, as well as on best practices in procurement
- Negotiating employment agreements, including executive compensation packages
- Drafting and review of vendor agreements
- Drafting of intergovernmental agreements
- Drafting and review of commercial contracts
Legislative and Regulatory Requirements
- Counseling on complex issues arising under the state Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) and Open Meetings Act (OMA)
- Providing ethics and sexual harassment training, and the development of policies regarding same
- Drafting legislative proposals to further agency goals and objectives
- Advising on compliance and regulatory matters involving investments and fiduciary matters
- Developing policies and procedures to ensure appropriate oversight and timely compliance with federal and state regulations
- Providing training to meet regulatory requirements
- Advising clients on a regular basis of updates and changes in regulatory oversight and governance requirements
- Counseling municipalities on all aspects of municipal governance and federal and state compliance
- As outside counsel to the Boards of the State Universities Retirement System of Illinois, the Municipal Employees’ Annuity and Benefit Fund of Chicago, the Firemen’s Annuity & Benefit Fund of Chicago, the Illinois Board of Higher Education, the Illinois State Board of Investment, and the Cook County Pension Funds, among others, Firm President and co-founder Mary Patricia Burns advises the Executive Director and staff on pension law and corporate practice, drafts legislative proposals, attends monthly meetings, and provides counsel on a broad range of legal matters.
- For the past 15 years, Ms. Burns has served as outside counsel to the Village of Bridgeview, advising the Mayor and Board on municipal governance, as well as federal and state compliance matters. In the early 2000s, she assisted the Mayor and Board on the construction and development of Toyota Park, a 20,000 square-foot soccer stadium that entailed the acquisition and development of numerous parcels of real estate as well the negotiation and drafting of nearly all vendor and sponsor agreements.
- Our attorneys provide advice and counsel to the Board of Directors of a private charter school operator, helping it comply with the Illinois Charter School Law and regulations, as well as the Material Modification Applications process with Chicago Public Schools (CPS) and compliance reporting for the CPS.
Illinois Board Governance Inquiries
State agencies, municipalities, and private businesses wishing to meet with our BBP board governance attorneys may schedule a consultation by calling our Chicago office at 312-541-8600 or completing our online contact form.