At Burke Burns & Pinelli, Ltd., we take great pride in our reputation as one of the most distinguished eminent domain law firms in Illinois. Our BBP attorneys have decades of experience in the full range of issues relating to condemnation matters. We represent condemning authorities as well as private landowners.
Our Focus on Achieving a Successful Outcome
Based on our substantial experience representing both governmental bodies and private landowners, BBP has have the insight and ability to analyze valuation issues from both perspectives. We excel in developing strategies designed to maximize results in a cost-effective manner. Our eminent domain practice is focused on achieving a successful outcome for every client.
Procedural requirements are critical in any eminent domain case. If the prerequisites are not met before a condemnation case is filed, a complaint may be dismissed by the court. Our BBP team of attorneys has broad experience counseling condemning authorities and landowners in the strategies essential to successfully navigating the issues presented by a motion to dismiss in an eminent domain case.
Through our extensive eminent domain practice, BBP has established strong relationships with a wide range of experts in the field of eminent domain. Our acumen in leveraging the specialized knowledge of those experts as part of our legal strategy is one of the unique strengths of our practice.
We welcome inquiries from agencies and individuals in need of counsel and representation in eminent domain matters. To schedule a consultation, call our Chicago office at 312-541-8600 or complete our online contact form.
Decades of Experience and a Record of Success
BBP co-founders Edward Burke and Vincent Pinelli have more than 80 years of combined experience in eminent domain law. Our condemnation team, which also includes attorneys Christopher Hales and Larisa Elizondo, is capable of handling any land acquisition issue that might arise for condemning authorities and private landowners. BBP has an established record of success in eminent domain jury trials and quick-take hearings. We also have a proven record of negotiating advantageous settlements for our clients.
Our experience and notable successes include:
- For more than 25 years, our BBP condemnation attorneys have represented the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT) and the Illinois State Toll Highway Authority (ISTHA) as special assistant attorneys general. Through such representation, BBP has assisted those clients in the acquisition of hundreds of parcels of real estate for road and highway improvements worth millions of dollars in value.
- Mr. Pinelli and Mr. Hales have been successful in the circuit and appellate courts upholding ISTHA’s pre-condemnation practices and procedures from motions to dismiss.
- Over the last several years, Mr. Pinelli and Mr. Hales achieved significant savings for IDOT and ISTHA in DuPage, Will, and Lake Counties in cases involving complex damage to remainder claims.
- Our BBP attorneys represented multiple owners of large acreage tracts of farmland in DuPage County. In a jury trial that involved “reasonable probability of rezoning” issues as well as post-verdict negotiations, we secured over $1.1 million dollars for the landowners, a 325% increase over pre-condemnation offers from the government.
- BBP represented a landowner in a case involving a jury trial and post-verdict negotiations. A municipality sought to convert a landowner’s private parking lot to a municipal parking lot. Our use of expert witnesses with specialized experience in off-street parking patterns and studies garnered a million dollar recovery that was 500% above the pre-condemnation offer made to the owner.
Illinois Eminent Domain Inquiries
Condemning authorities and individuals wishing to meet with our BBP eminent domain attorneys may schedule a consultation by calling our Chicago office at 312-541-8600 or completing our online contact form.