Martin T. Burns
Martin T. Burns is an associate in the firm's transaction and litigation practice groups. He concentrates his practice on municipal finance, governmental affairs, municipal law, corporate law, contract law, sports law, and First Amendment law. Mr. Burns has served on numerous public finance transactions as co-bond counsel, issuer counsel, disclosure counsel and underwriters counsel. He also advises and assists public sector clients on a wide range of regulatory and compliance issues, including the Freedom of Information Act and the Open Meetings Act, and various other aspects of government administration.
While working full-time as a law clerk and attending law school at night, Mr. Burns served judicial externships with the Honorable John W. Darrah of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and the Honorable Lawrence E. Flood of the Cook County Circuit Court, Criminal Division.
Prior to joining the firm in 2009, Mr. Burns spent 14 years as a staff writer for Sports Illustrated and its website, SI.com. During that time he wrote hundreds of athlete features, stories, and columns involving a wide range of sports, with an emphasis on pro basketball. He also appeared frequently on national TV and radio programs to discuss sports topics in the news.
- Administrative Law
- Business and Corporate
- Civil Litigation
- Employment and Labor
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Supreme Court (2014)
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- John Marshall Law School
J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- Northwestern University
- University of Notre Dame
- Chicago Bar Association
- Extern to the Honorable Lawrence E. Flood, Circuit Court of Cook County, Criminal Division (2012)
- Extern to the Honorable John W. Darrah of the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (2011)
- Senior writer, SI.com (2000-2008)
- Staff writer, Sports Illustrated ( 1994-2000)